- Benchmark the current state of our understanding of deep carbon
- Develop an ambitious, intellectually rigorous research agenda
- Cooperatively raise funding and execute that research agenda;
- Synthesize and disseminate findings to the larger scientific community and the public
- Strengthen the geophysical research community through the training of the next generation of young geoscientists and through the development of new instruments, models, and analytical methods.
Sloan grants to the DCO focus on providing funds for organization, institutional infrastructure, data management, and instrument development.
Inside Earth, Microbes Approach Immortality
For zombie microbes, deep-sea buffet is just out of reach
These 7 Expeditions Could Reveal Some of Earth's Biggest Secrets in 2019
New York Times
Deep Beneath Your Feet, They Live in the Octillions
Scientists just discovered organisms that have been alive for thousands of years
The Times UK
Earth’s subterranean ecosystem uncovered
This program does not accept unsolicited letters of inquiry or grant applications. For more information, including information on current funding opportunities, interested scholars should visit the Deep Carbon Observatory website.