The Foundation is currently accepting applications for the following open positions. Follow the links below to learn more about job responsibilities, qualifications sought, and how to apply.
THE ALFRED P. SLOAN FOUNDATION
The Alfred P. Sloan Foundation is a philanthropic, not-for-profit grantmaking institution based in New York City. Established in 1934 by Alfred Pritchard Sloan Jr., then-President and Chief Executive Officer of General Motors, the Foundation makes grants in three broad areas: direct support of research in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and economics; initiatives to increase the quality and diversity of scientific institutions; and efforts to enhance and deepen public engagement with science and scientists.
The Alfred P. Sloan Foundation is seeking an Investment Director to assist with the management of a broadly diversified portfolio composed of investments in asset classes that include public equity, fixed income, hybrid credit, alternative strategies, and private investments.
All investment team members are generalists and have the responsibility to implement the investment policy established by the Investment Committee of the Board of Trustees. The Investment Director has responsibilities across all asset classes and reports to the Chief Investment Officer.
Assignments and duties of the Investment Director include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Conceptualizing, executing, and evaluating investment strategies across private equity, public / private credit, alternative strategies and public market investments. Continually exploring, identifying, evaluating, and recommending new investment opportunities and managers.
- Developing investment recommendation memos for review and refinement by the Chief Investment Officer for presentation to the Investment Committee of the Board of Trustees.
- Taking an active role in ongoing investment management and risk management and contributing to the asset allocation and risk allocation process for the entire portfolio.
- Monitoring and evaluating the performance of existing investments and investment managers through continuous review of portfolio analytics, manager meetings, and manager communications.
- Executing due diligence reviews on prospective investment managers and working with the Investment Operations Manager on operational due diligence.
- Staying abreast of market conditions and developments that may affect the Foundation’s investment holdings.
- Participating in the institutional investment community, representing the Foundation, maintaining relationships, sharing information, and assessing trends.
- Supporting the Chief Investment Officer in all aspects of Investment Committee relations, presentation preparation, asset allocation, and liquidity management.
- Working with colleagues on continuously developing and following the best practices and procedures for investment monitoring, analysis, and reporting.
- Adhering to and ensuring compliance with the Foundation's investment policy; Code of Conduct; the investment team's policies and procedures; and all relevant legal, regulatory, and ethical standards.
- Traveling both within and outside the U.S. to meet with existing and prospective managers, and to attend annual meetings, and conferences.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
The Investment Director position requires a bachelor's degree or equivalent and eight or more years of substantive investment experience. Desirable experience includes the evaluation, monitoring, and selection of public equity, private equity, credit, real estate, and alternative strategies including but not limited to discretionary macro, relative value, commodity trading advisors, and multi-strategy funds. An MBA or CFA is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
The Investment Director position requires a broad knowledge of and passion for investment markets, instruments, and practices.
- Successful applicants will demonstrate strong critical intelligence, analytical and quantitative skills, and a high level of attention to detail. Using these attributes, applicants will be able to conduct and interpret in-depth analyses without losing sight of the larger picture, identify key problems, and suggest solutions.
- The position requires an individual who is self-motivated, proactive, and has the confidence, courage, and intelligence to develop and promote strong, non-consensus investment recommendations.
- Exceptional communication skills are required to convey ideas and results to colleagues formally and informally, in writing and verbally, in a logical, concise, and coherent manner, and to be highly effective in external interactions.
- Strong team orientation with high energy, excellent interpersonal skills, a passion and talent for mentoring, and the capacity to work productively with colleagues and stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently and in a group, as well as under pressure/tight deadlines.
- Computer skills should include a strong command of information management applications including Excel and PowerPoint. Familiarity with eVestment, Caissa, and Backstop is an advantage.
While the search has been delayed due to COVID-19, the Foundation is currently accepting applications for this position, to be reviewed in August with the expectation of in-person meetings in September.
For full consideration for the Investment Director position, please apply following the directions below:
Required Documents: Resume, Cover Letter (both PDF format)
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line: Application – Investment Director – [Last Name], [First Name]
You will be contacted directly should your background and qualifications be a match. Work samples and references may be requested during the interview process. The Alfred P. Sloan Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you!