The Alfred P. Sloan Foundation is currently accepting applications for the following open positions.
JOB TITLE: Program Associate for Science and the Arts
The Program Associate for Science and the Arts reports to the Vice President, Programs, who directs the Public Understanding of Science, Technology, and Economics and the Universal Access to Knowledge programs. This position supports all aspects of these programs, with an emphasis on the Public Understanding program, and has significant responsibility in the management of proposals, grants, and activities in both programs. As part of a small, self-directed, and high-performing team, the Associate is the “right hand” of the VP and ensures that the programs run effectively and efficiently.
This position is for two years with the potential to extend for one additional year, not to exceed a total of three years of employment.
This role provides excellent training in philanthropy, access to prominent leaders, and exposure to new initiatives in science and the arts across diverse forms of media and technology.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position has multiple areas of responsibility.
Proposal and Grants Management:
- Support the VP in reviewing incoming letters of inquiry and proposals
- Review all grant reports and track grant payments
- Draft staff and board memos for proposals
- Create timeline for each quarterly proposal cycle based on internal deadlines and keep all proposal processes on track to meet deadlines
- Attend weekly staff meetings where all current Foundation proposals are reviewed
- Work with grants administration team as needed
- Communicate with grantees about reporting deadlines, upcoming events, grant progress, etc.
- Assist VP in managing correspondence and internal deadlines
- Assist VP with travel logistics
- Coordinate with Program Assistant to schedule all meetings for VP and ensure his calendar is up-to-date
- Arrange all on-site meeting logistics for VP including catering and IT needs
- Track news and developments in relevant areas
- Manage the programs’ social media presence including working with PR and social media consultants
- Assist VP in reviewing press releases and grantee marketing materials
- Monitor the web for grantee news
- In close consultation with VP, prepare quarterly program updates and email newsletters
- Work with communications staff and VP to keep website pages up-to-date
External Events and Travel:
- Regularly attend Sloan-supported events outside of work hours, such as plays, readings, film screenings, panel discussions, and exhibitions (1-3 events per month)
- Occasionally travel to conferences and film festivals
- Coordinate with grantee partners on all event logistics
- The successful candidate works well under deadlines and is an intelligent and disciplined self-starter with outstanding organizational skills and a detail orientation
- Experience in the arts and/or the sciences is a plus
- Outstanding writing skills are necessary. The right candidate must have the ability to write quickly and accurately in order to be successful in this position
- Computer skills including proficiency in MS Office and Acrobat. Knowledge of Photoshop or InDesign would be helpful.
- Ability to learn new applications, including the FLUXX database
- Must have proficiency and professional experience in social media including but not limited to Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
- Self-motivation and self-confidence to work on projects with a minimum of supervision
- Ability to thrive in a quiet, self-directed office environment
- A bachelor’s degree or higher
- 2 to 3 years of work experience is required
The Alfred P. Sloan Foundation offers competitive compensation and benefits, commensurate with experience
For consideration please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. In the subject line please reference the job title. The Alfred P. Sloan Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.